Friday 15 November 2013

Une liste: the update

Writing this post has been a massive headache for me, because I finished it, and then somehow managed to delete it all - so I hope you all appreciate it!

---

Before I came to Paris, I made a post listing some of the things that I hope to do during my year in Paris (see 26/07/2013), but it was quite short, and it's easy to be relatively narrow-minded about a place when you're only thinking about it in the context of a Lonely Planet Guidebook!

I'm not sure you really know what you want to do in a city until you get there - since I've been in Paris, I'm constantly passing little restaurants or museum or seeing adverts for other things to do, and thinking that I really should add that to my list. So, that list has grown quite a bit longer over the last two months, and I decided it was time to post an update!

---

1. Visit the Versailles Palace - I'm saving this for the spring/summer, when the gardens will be at their best to see :)

2. Go to Notre Dame Cathedral

3. Visit Les Catacombs
4. Indulge in la cuisine, including croissants, macaroons, and everything else French and/or Parisian. In particular, there are three places that I want to go to (or have now been to)
- Ladurée in the Champs-Élysées
- Pierre Hermé
- Angelina Tearoom - I'm told that this is the place to go for the best hot chocolate in the capital. Can't wait to go and see for myself!
- Eat seafood at La Bar a Huitres. This is the place that I went for my birthday, and it really was delicious. There's several of them in Paris - I went to the one in Montparnasse. They've got a menu that ranges from massive seafood platters costing a few hundreds of euros, to a nice fixed menu for 44 euros, which was much better for my poor student budget :)

5. Go to see the Pantheon
6. Spend time in La Jardin du Luxembourg

The next three I won't be able to actually do this year; the first and second because I'm going to be in China; the third because I'll be spending it at home. But I'm keeping them on my list because they're three things which ought to be done in Paris, and though I won't be doing them this year, I'll be making sure to do them at some point!
7. View the Bastille Day Parade
8. Finale of the Tour de France
9. Spend NYE 2014 in Paris

10. Go to the Louvre and see Mona Lisa!

11. Go to Disneyland Paris. Disclaimer: I've actually been here and wasn't going to include it on my list, but my "little" (he's 16) brother insisted that I include it, which was blatantly a not very subtle hint that I should take him.
12. Go to top of La Basilique du Sacré Coeur.

13. Stroll down the Champs-Élysées, and end up in the Place de la Concord

14. Visit La Sainte-Chapelle
15. Go to the Palais Garnier, which looks spectacular!
16. Visit Monet's garden at Giverny - this is another one I'm saving for the spring/summer, as I'm told it's a nice place to hire a bike and go for a ride :)

17. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower
18. Visit at least 3 other European Countries. I don't know how realistic that is going to be, but it's a target I'll try to meet! I might as well make the most of being an Erasmus student by exploring the continent at least a little bit!
19. Go to the Christmas Market in Strasbourg
20. Spend the day at Parc Asterix :)
21. Go to Bercy Shopping Village - because, really, what's Paris without some retail therapy?
22. Les Invalides
23. Moulin Rouge
24. Spend a few days on the South Coast and in Monaco - this is another potentially unrealistic one, because it will probably be too expensive, but I really want to do it if at all possible!
25. La Marais
26. La Conciergerie
27. Visit St- Sulpice
28. Go to the roof at Galleries Lafayette - incidentally, I really loved the interior of this store. It's gorgeous!
29. Go the Musée de l'Orangerie
30. Go over to the Arc de Triomphe
31. Visit Lille
32. Canal St Martin
33. Browse the shelves at the bookshop, Shakespeare and Co

So that's my list. Considerably longer than last time, and probably will get considerably longer again before I leave Paris in June. I'll make sure to do an update or two before then though - at least three of the things on this list I have already arranged to do, and I will be posting about them very soon...

As always, if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to comment, I'd love to hear some.

Vicky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment