Tuesday 17 September 2013

Une recommandation

So - a little time out from the standard "this is what I've been up to" post to recommend a little book I've been browsing - if you are a Law student and you are off to study law in France for a year, I really think it's worth getting hold of and having a flick through. It might be in your uni library - I'm fairly sure I have seen it on the shelf at QM - and of course, there's always amazon.

It's called 'French Law: A Comparative Approach", by Eva Steiner (2010, OUP), and its a pretty good introduction to the mysterious ways of the French legal system. I recommend this one in particular because, as a comparison, it makes it pretty easy for us English Law Kids to understand, using our law studies so far as a reference point, covering legal institutions and methodology as well as some of your legal basics - administrative law, contract, tort etc.

It's also got a section on legal education, explaining how it differs from what we're all used to, and offers a few study tips for les cours magistrals and les travaux dirigĂ©s (lectures and tutorials), and also how to answer French problem questions (cas pratiques), essay questions and case studies (un commentaire d'arrĂȘt).

It's this chapter which I have found particularly helpful. We're going to be covering French legal methodology etc. next week in my semaine d'integration, but I am one of those people who likes to go in prepared and I feel like knowing some of this stuff will prevent me from feeling completely out of my depth and make for a much smoother start to my year.

Having been here in Paris for just over a fortnight already, and that time having been all my own, so far it has felt a little bit like I'm on holiday, and as that will all change dramatically from Monday onwards, I'm hoping that at the very least, the prep. I have done will lessen the shock to my system, even just a little.

I will probably post again near the end of next week about my first few days at Assas and whatever else I get up to in the meantime. Here's hoping it's not too stressful!

Vicky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment