Tuesday 29 October 2013

Quelle est la date de ton anniversaire?

Did anyone else have to sing a song in which that line was sung, repeatedly, to quite an annoying tune, when they were learning French in school?

I mention only because this weekend I turned 21! That's right, the last big birthday anyone experiences before you hit the big 3-0, and it all goes downhill from there ;)

As I think I mentioned in my last post, I went out - not last weekend just gone but the weekend before that - to celebrate my birthday in Paris with the 3 other girls from QM and a few others, when we had a meal in the very gorgeous looking seafood restaurant, La Bar A Huitres in Montparnasse (although there are a few more elsewhere in Paris, I think)  

The outside fish bar at La Bar a Huitres looks so tempting... *drool*

We had a lovely meal. At €44 for three courses, I didn't think it was too badly priced actually, although (somewhat sinfully given we're living in France) we passed on the wine which almost certainly would have considerably pushed up the bill.

I had a risotto for starter, with mussels and octopus, and it was absolutely to die for. Really, I probably could have eaten another one, it was cooked beautifully and very moreish! 

Me with my Risotto :)  -  Pic taken by Rachel

For main, I had Moules Marinière which was also very verrry nice, and they weren't skimpy on the portions either, hooray!

These. were. delicious.

And for pud, I had (my first ever) créme brûlée which was set slight at our table and was also very nice (if a little alcoholy still, even after the flames had stopped).


The others tried a range of things as well... Fish Soup, Giant Shrimps, Cod, Monkfish and lots of other gorgeous looking meals were delivered to our table.


In which Paris lives up to its name in terms of excellent Cuisine. Pics all taken by Rachel

They also serve up some amazing (if pricey) seafood platters which were were all eyeing up a bit enviously, and generally there's just so much more on the menu (given to you on iPads!) that I want to try, so I'm planning to go back in February when my best friend comes out to visit :)

After the meal, we headed over towards Bastille for drinks and then our newly-enlarged group headed over to a club called Wanderlust.

It was actually a pretty cool club, but not having entirely thought through my choice of footwear for the evening, my heels had basically crippled me by this point and most of my energy was going into staying standing!

That's not to say that I didn't have a good time at the club, I did. A large part of it is outside, right on the banks of the Seine, and the music was really good.

Anyway, to cut what could be a very long story short, I had a wicked good night.

Then, this weekend just gone, I made my firs trip home since I left on August 31st for my actual birthday! I flew back to Southampton from Orly (which, I'm sorry, is a humungous pain to to get to. The Orlyval is so expensive. I may have to try the OrlyBus next time instead).


Travel Essentials. Who needs a toothbrush?

Anyway, at home I had an absolutely brilliant birthday. I completely spoiled by my family, and I was surprised three times on the day itself when my Grandma, Aunt and then later my two absolute best friends (who I wasn't expecting to see until Christmas and February respectively) all turned up to surprise me at one point or another.

I am a very very  lucky girl!

It was such a brilliant weekend that it made it really hard to head back to Southampton airport and fly back to Paris yesterday afternoon, probably harder than it was to leave for Paris in the first place!

Still, I'll be home again (by Eurostar,5£&/ time) at Christmas which in all honesty, isn't that far away - we'll be in November come Friday, which I cannot believe. And when I'm here I do have a good time and I've got lots of fun things still to look forward to.

So, that was my birthday, done both Paris style and UK style. Hope everyone else had as good a weekend as I did, and I'm sure I will post again soon!

Vicky xx

PS. On a side note, the Bar Society president from my first year at Queen Mary has been missing since Friday. Posting it here on the off chance someone reading this knows something that could help - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-24733082 

No comments:

Post a Comment